Saturday, December 27, 2008

Massage

The people among you who live in Thailand will know what I talk about now. Even though we may be horribly annoyed at some of the peculiarities of living in the Kingdom, there’s always a surprise moment just around the corner that will amaze us to the point of us forgetting all the negatives and annoyances.

I had such a moment recently when I went to massage. Whenever I feel that my neck is a bit tense, I go to the massage place down the road. It’s kinda huge and like a temple and it’s not a sexy one. It’s not quite cheap but the quality has convinced me every time. This time, a lady from Petchabun province got to “honour” to massage the young farang. It was a rather fun and a really astonishing time. Miss Petchabun soon found out that I can speak Thai (some at least) so she started to talk, which annoyed me at first. After a felt 30 seconds and the usual questions, we already reached the topic of boyfriends/girlfriends. I don’t know why the Thais love this topic so much but at least it’s within my vocabulary. I said I have someone from Korea. She then went on to say how pretty Korean ladies are, to which I replied that I have a BOYfriend who is a man. She giggled and apologised. “soryyyyyy” Miss Petchabun was quite surprised that I am just with THIS guy and I don’t have other boyfriends...but then no wonder she is surprised because even she has a boyfriend here (apart from the hubby in her home province– a guard at my condo!!!! But that was not it. Miss Petchabun then started talking about gay things – or rather people. Her son, 10 years old was apparently gay. She told me that he is already behaving like a queen and that he likes to go to the men’s shower and toilet and watch them. Also, he loves to touch a man’s ass. Amazingly, miss petchabun found this totally ok and normal – she seemed very proud of her son! Then, Miss Petchabun went on to say that she has a gay nephew with a French boyfriend here in Bangkok. Then, she also has a younger brother, who has 3 boyfriends, from Germany, USA and Switzerland. The Swiss one comes to Thailand twice a year and built a house for Petchabun. She couldn’t emphasise more clearly that the Germans and Americans are Jai dam(black heart) but that the Swiss is jai dee (good heart). Apparently, a house is the least their family expect from a farang boyfriend not to be called “black heart”. The Swiss one, she said really only loves her brother because he is taking good care of him. Well, I am sure that’s no news for many of you who read this blog but I am surely surprised every time when I see just how different the meaning of “love” can be...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the German and American BFs had a lucky escape from their lying Thai BF. I think a farang should take care of his BF, not his entire family. If the BF doesn't like that, then out the door. - Ian

TAO said...

Petchabun...its been 20 years since the last time I was there!

I do remember one night I went out to dinner with a bunch of performers from one bar and somehow we hooked up with some females...

Back then Americans were the best because we paid the most and expected the least....

But times have changed because back then no one ever asked for a house or any of that...in fact my bf at the time, who initially was a waiter at the Barbiery Coast Bar would always have gifts for me when I left and gifts when I would return.

I did pay for his college but not because he asked but because I said I would....

He was from Petchabun....

Asia in Australia said...

tao: oh that's wonderful...i pushed your "petchabun" buttons. i hope they are nice memories!
honestly I dont know very much about these farang-thai relationships that involve houses and other sorts of pecuniary things. I do see these relationships daily though. e.g. before a HUGE farang entered the condo with a tinytiny thai boy (he was really a boy) and they seem to stay one floor above me...